Anger in Parenting

by Brenna Stull | 12:23 PM in , , |

Dear Brenna: My daughter just turned two and I find myself struggling more and more with impatience and snapping at her in anger. I'm seeing things in myself that I don't like, and I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to our relationship. I'm disappointed and frustrated. - Susan

Dear Susan: I understand exactly where you are coming from. I remember telling my husband when I had three preschoolers at home (one of which was a struggling potty-trainer) that he had the easier job. I told him at least he was dealing with people that could reason. These little three-foot tall persons have the ability to test you to the end of your patience.

Susan, first realize that none of us are perfect. We all make mistakes. Apologize when you realized you've spoken in anger to your child when you speak in anger, and pray that God will help you do better next time. This restores your relationship and also teaches your child humility. The words, “I was wrong” are hard to speak, but necessary. Your child will learn to speak those same words if you model it. In twenty years her spouse will thank you for it!



Bookmark and Share

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

1 comments:

  1. Brenna Stull on February 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM

    Food for thought: I've found that a lot of my impatient moments with my children stemmed from my frustrations with myself...

    It's a good thing to ask, "If I were running early instead of late, would I have snapped at my child over what he just did?" Perhaps I would have laughed instead?